EXHIBITION, CONCERT, READING, STREET ACTIVITY, PARTY, PERFORMANCE, THEATRE PIECE, LECTURE, SCREENING, ETC.
JOB, WORKSHOP, INTERNSHIP, COLLABORATION PROJECTS, JOINING A BAND, RESIDENCY, WANTED PROFESSIONAL, ETC.
ARTWORK, PIECE OF MUSIC, VIDEO, PIECE OF POETRY, ILLUSTRATION, SERIES OF PHOTOGRAPHS, CORPORATE DESIGN, ETC.
Located in “The Village of Peace”, Tsarimir, right next to the cultural capital of Europe for 2019 – the city of Plovdiv – IMAGO International Artist Residency is a liberating space for visual artists and creatives seeking simple and comfortable working environment for their projects development. It is also a source for artistic growth and inspiration, stemming from the unusual local culture, the inherent natural freedom of the place, the fascinating sights and experiences within the residency as well as the professional curatorial support offered by its founders…
We address artists predominantly in the field of the visual arts with a stress on contemporary art (painting, photography, light sculpture, installations, textile, video art, performance, contemporary dance). The residency is also the right place for creatives looking for solitude while doing their artistic research as well as for musicians, curators, film and new media enthusiasts and professionals.
WHAT DOES THE RESIDENCY INCLUDE?
WHAT MAKES IMAGO SPECIAL BOTH LOCALLY AND GLOBALLY?
*** Exceptional professional support ***
We, the founders of the residency, are art historians, curators and contemporary art lecturers – we are also the founders of the independent platform for contemporary art and culture – Art and Culture Today. To the extent you would like, we can:
• Connect you with other professionals in the field – artists, gallery owners, curators.
• Involve you in professional discussions about art.
• Think, discuss and write about your art (stidio visits included).
• Advise you on your professional development.
• Organize pop-up exhibition with your work in Sofia or Plovdiv. Usually it is a group pop-up exhibition with the works of all residents for the month.
• Include your work in our ongoing or future projects.
• Screen for you our lectures in English about contemporary art – both global and Bulgarian – with following discussions.
Who are we, the founders? You can find out more in our website:
*** Perfect Location ***
• Really nice climate – hot autumn and spring, mild winter and burning summer!
• Easy and cheap to reach from within Europe.
• Slow and peaceful natural life in the village allowing you to fully focus on your project.
• Overall residency green area of 2200m2.
• Super tasty home grown food and dishes provided by the locals.
• Amazing opportunities to travel, explore and learn.
• Very affordable living and traveling costs.
You can find a general compass of the best travelling locations close to the residency and more information about the local life in this section of our website: https://www.artandculture.today/location-and-surroundings
*** Other exceptional experiences within the residency ***
Along with the two cosy studios, the big yards and the simple and comfortable accommodation, the residency experience allows you to:
• Immerse yourself in a wide and intimate musical exploration through our collection of more than 1000 thousand vinyl records with music from the 12th to the 20th century.
• Enrich yourself through our digital collection of visual art consisting of thousands of artworks.
• Enjoy our wide and inspiring selection of art movies in a super relaxing home cinema setting.
• Treat yourself with hot springs wine & spa experiences!
• Be surprised by the curious local flea markets.
• Join us for things you probably have never done before – riding horses, feeding domestic animals, learn traditional skills and folklore dances, fishing, shooting, flying with a moto delta planer and much more!
You can find more info, a lot of photos, Q&A section and much more on our website: https://www.artandculture.today/imago.
*** STUDIO AND ACCOMMODATION ***
We accommodate a maximum of three to four artists at the same time.
• Overall residency area of 2200m2 green area.
• Two independent studios: the big one is 40m2, the smaller one is 25m2 with an option to use its roof as a high view-point open air studio.
• Two independent houses - artists house and staff house
• Three separate fully furnished bedrooms (13-15m2) with wifi connection in the artists house.
• Shared living room, kitchen and bathroom, laundry machine.
• Second set of kitchen and bathroom fully available for the artists at the staff's house.
• Amazing collections of music (more than 1000 vinyl records), art (extensive digital collection) and movies (diverse digital collection) available for the residents any time of the day.
• Beautiful front yard and big back yard
• Great socializing areas.
• Home cinema.
At the residency we provide you with diverse selection of working tools, musical instruments and leisure equipment which includes:
• Two sewing machines.
• Two guitars (electrical and acoustic), an amplifier, semi-professional synthesizer, tarambuka, harmonicas.
• Easels, different pliers, screw-drivers (including electrical), electrical saws, hammers, electrical sandpapers, drilling machines suitable for wood and metal, paint job tools.
• Inflatable pool suitable for the hottest months (usually between June and the first half of September).
• Imprpovised outdoors fire place.
• Air guns and a small cross-bow.
• Vinyl records player.
• Two bikes.
You can find photos and more information at our website: https://www.artandculture.today/studio-and-accomodation
*** RESIDENCY FEE AND DURATION ***
ONE MONTH STAY AT THE RESIDENCY: 670 EURO (1 MONTH IS THE MINIMUM STAY) FOR LONGER RESIDENCY PERIOD, PLEASE, WRITE US AT INFO@ARTANDCULTURE.TODAY IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME WITH YOUR PARTNER OR CHILD, AGAIN, PLEASE SEND US AN E-MAIL.
THE RESIDENCY IS SUITABLE FOR ARTISTIC DUOS!
Included (covered by the residency fee):
• Private room (around 15m2) in the artists' house with shared living room, kitchen and bathroom. All utilities expenses are covered in the residency fee. In case of a need, there is a second kitchen and bathroom in the staff's house. Wi-fi is available as part of the accommodation.
• Private or shared studio, depending on your choice.
• Transport from the airport to Tsarimir.
• Welcome dinner with traditional Bulgarian food and drinks.
• Plenty of natural space - front yard and big backyard
• Pop-up exhibition with your works in Sofia or Plovdiv - in collaboration with the other residents for the month. Sometimes, when the circumstances are right, the days before the final pop-up exhibition we organize open studio day in the village for the locals.
• 2-4 planned studio visits. In parallel we would always be available for professional support.
• Connections with curators, artists, galleries; professional assistance with your work/concept/research.
• Suggestions, full practical help and tips for everything related to your stay and work, travelling and exploration of the area.
• Introduction into the Bulgarian art and culture scene as well as specific introduction into the Bulgarian modern and contemporary art scene.
• Full access to an amazing collections of music (more than 1000 vinyl records), art (extensive digital collection) and movies (diverse digital collection).
• Plenty of optional side activities (when additional fees apply, they are covered by the residents) - from experiencing local habits and traditions to fishing, shooting and flying with a motodeltaplan.
• Beautiful front yard and huge backyard
• Great socializing areas.
• Home cinema.
Not included (covered by the residents):
• Expenses for working materials and supplies are covered by the residents.
• Works shipping and transportation expenses, as well as insurance, are covered by the residents.
• Travelling expenses are covered by the residents.
• Food expenses are covered by the residents. (The average food expenses in the village for somebody with standard eating habits is 6-8 euro per day (meaning three meals per day). You can definitely go below that).
• Side program fee expenses are covered by the residents.
• Accomodation in Sofia during the final exhibition is covered by the residents. (In case the final exhibition is in Sofia, you should consider spending 1-3 nights, depending on the date of the exhibition and the date of your flight. Most residents take this as an opportunity to explore Sofia and we take it as an opportunity to invite at the pop-up exhibition and meet you with the most meaningful crowd of professionals and art lovers).
• IMAGO International Artist Residency offers full support and information regarding the best and the most cost efficient choices related to both working materials and food as well as travelling, shipping, insurance.
*** HOW TO APPLY? ***
Please, follow the simple instructions on our website: https://www.artandculture.today/how-to-apply. All we need is an e-mail from you with a brief CV, portfolio and a filled application form which you can download from the link. For any questions, you can contact us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org and mobile: 00359897953372.
Opportunity by IMAGO International Artist Residency
Deadline: Saturday 2 January 2021 at 23:00h
Deadline: Sunday 28 July 2019 at 12:00h
Type: offering / offering
Deadline: Tuesday 11 February 2020 at 23:59h