Connect, an international programme is launched in collaboration with The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia, as a platform to foster experimentation in the arts in connection with fundamental science. Over the next four years, a series of fully-funded artistic residency opportunities will be announced to take place at CERN, in Geneva, and in partner scientific organisations worldwide, in Chile, South Africa, Brazil and India.
Connect South Africa invites one Swiss artist and one artist from East, West or Southern Africa to spend together 3 weeks at CERN in Geneva, followed by 5 weeks in the array of astronomy observatories across South Africa, in connection with the South African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO) and the South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO).
Connect South Africa invites proposals:
– from artists interested in a cross-disciplinary approach and a strong motivation for scientific thinking.
– to further their artistic research in connection with fundamental research and physics of the cosmos.
– to develop new work in dialogue with the scientists, engineers and staff of the CERN and South African scientific communities.
Connect South Africa includes:
– A production stipend of 6,000 CHF.
– International and local travel costs, living and accommodation expenses in Geneva and across the different locations in South Africa.
– A curated residency, regular meetings with the scientific partners to discuss the artist’s research and curatorial support from the Arts at CERN and South Africa teams.
For further information about the criteria and conditions of the call, the residency, and the expectations of the artist, please read carefully the terms and conditions of the call via https://arts.cern/